THE MODELLING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My D-Day Diorama (Large Project)

4 posters

Go down

My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) Empty My D-Day Diorama (Large Project)

Post  alaskafish Sat Apr 23 2011, 10:22

I've been doing a lot of research on Normandy and stuff. And I thought "well maybe I should make a D-Day Diorama!" So that's what I'm going to do. I will need a wide variety of models and scenic items.
What I'll Need
Pegasus US Rangers D-day (Bought it, Have it)
Airfix German Infantry (Bought it, Have it)
Dragon LCM III with Sherman (Bought it, Have it)
Airfix 88mm Gun and Tractor (Need to Buy) ----------EDIT (Have it)
BUM LCVP with GMC Truck + US Marines/Paratroops (Have it)
Fujimi German Kubel Wagan, with BMW and PAK 40 gun + gun crew
Pegasus German Machine gun crew.
Any type of water making kit.
Balsa Wood

Now I don't know how to make a German coastal bunker, without buying a EXPENSIVE one. I would like to make it....

Story of the Diorama
It's pretty much what you think.... The Rangers storm the beach going through the german obstacles heading their way up a steep mountain when a active german bunker rests apon(? right spelling?). A 88mm gun sits on a terrorist (not the 9/11 type) where it is trying to shoot US Landers.
I'll try to Keep this updated, but there will be sometimes when I'm too lazy to go and upload the pictures!
Try to help me make this nice! Please give me trips and tricks for good ideas on this!
Just for you people to know, The building will start in the begging of January, maybe in early December or all of November. I don't know. I need to stock on some stuff in the States over Christmas too!!!

alaskafish
Admin

Back to top Go down

My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) Empty Re: My D-Day Diorama (Large Project)

Post  alaskafish Sat Apr 23 2011, 10:23

I've started making some Germans and made the planning sheet for the dio . I've choose some random Germans, not all are Airfix, such as the house in the grass, but it might bring life to the dio. I must ask, but did they (they meaning the Germans) have horses at the coastal bunkers? I'm not sure. If they do, I'll be pleased!

The plan is quite simple. The Americans move up the beach to get into a large German bunker which I will scratch build. The bunkers is siting upon a sand dune, thus causing the Americans to try blowing up the base of the bunker. There is a path up the cliff, but it is steep and a German Sand bag bunker rests on it. There's a 88mm on a wooden terrorist and stairs leading up to the main trench. The trench is connected to the bunker, the car park, and the end of the diorama. At the car park there is a check point and a camouflage tent which the cars/trucks can park in...
Sorry about the plan. The scanner didn't work well, and the only way I could take a good photo of the plan was to take a picture of it on camera
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 392843037

I've also finished a Sherman! This Sherman will
probably not be in the dio , because I'm probably going to get the Airfix LCM MK III, which does of corse come with a sherman, but this is possible I might use it or use it instead of the Airfix Sherman
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 392843036

alaskafish
Admin

Back to top Go down

FINALY! I have all the models I need to start the building of the diorama. I've just completed the german coastal Bunker. I really like it. I added grass and soon to add rocks, and other stuff (EG: Medic bag, ammo box etc). Everything fits perfectly! The only thing is, is that the back of the bunker where the gun lays, there's a hole in the roof. I mean BIG hole. My main concern is that, it is not suppose to be there. It looks "in-your-face" looking A little bit too obvious. It is opened to the elements, bombs, and many other things. All I need to know, is it suppose to be opened, and if not, how should I close it.

Here is a picture of my bunker. I like it
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 394630502

Now here is a close up of the guns.
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 394630508

The problem, or the open roof of the bunker.
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 394630507

If you have any idea about this PLEASE TELL ME!

alaskafish
Admin

Back to top Go down

So, I started making the diorama itself. I'm using a piece of masonite as the base. It's doing good. :juggle: .....
Anyhow, I build the sides, as in the backboard to have the altitude of the hill. I started making the dimensions of the hill, and beach, but haven't covered the diorama with plaster cloth. I'm probably thinking of doing it tomorrow (1/18/11 Month, Day, Year). I really like the effect of the brand woodland scenics, and also the great kits which Scene-A-Rama makes. Though, woodland scenics is a superb brand, it is a bit expensive. As Scene-A-Rama, has kits that include foliage, what ever the set is (water kit= Water making solution, Rock Kit= Rock Making solution) etc.

Back to the progress report.....
I've made the outer rims, as I stated, and also started to fill the insides with rolled up newspaper to have the shape  of a hill, or slops. I've also add a perfect piece of  cardboard to level the top where the bunker will rest upon. I had plans on making trenches linking the door to door, but that didn't work out so great. So what I decided to do is, add rolled up newspaper on the sides of the path to make it look almost like they dug something out, or make a trench.

This is a picture of the base, 100% exposed, and the rim for the diorama.

My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 394655335

Now I started adding Newspaper. This picture isn't the slope full of newspaper, just me doing it or starting it "up".

My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 394655338

The slope with the finished amount of newspaper.

My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 394655337

Now I added the beach in separately because of the fact I don't "ups and downs" on the beach like on the slope. I want my beach flat. Here is a picture of the so called "flat" beach.

My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 394655340

He is a picture of the completed version of the newspaper filling from the allies point of perspective.

My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 394655339

I added the  gun to the pictures to see how much room I would need to add it on. I had the right amount, but I was hoping for more.... But, what can you do? So I'll post the version of My D-day Diorama with the plaster cloth. If I can do it in time. Shocked
I have just realized I have a time limit on this diorama. I must complete it by the 8th of February. I have the time to do it, but just letting to tell you, I'll be adding things more often. Which is good for you guys to my pictures. Very Happy
Funny!
Stay Tuned!

alaskafish
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  alaskafish Sat Apr 23 2011, 10:24

Okay.... Where should I start. I forgot to take pictures since I put plaster cloth on the Diorama. From there I wanted to continue making it, so....
You probably know what I did.
I continued it.
I new I should of stopped after I painted the ground cover, but it just so happened to be that the next step was fun. So I did it. The next step was adding foliage to the diorama. Very Happy
I tried adding added the bunker on, but it crumpled the grass next to it. So I put the bunker in place, flattened the crumpled grass and glued the bunker on. I wasn't thinking of gluing it on, but....
After I glued it on. I noticed little holes in the grass showing white or areas I haven't add the ground cover paints on. Embarassed
So, I thought I could cover them up with some bushes or shrubs. It worked! My next steps is to add bushes and shrubs. Then I must Add the WATER! That will be be fun  Rolling Eyes
I do need to blend the grass at the top with some darker and greener grasses. The sand on the beaches are nice. It sticks on well, but it has a darker color. I'm guessing that it's more like stormy beach sand not North African sand.
I have also finished my first Lander. To be exact it is the airfix LCM III. The sherman tank didn't come with the model, because it comes separately ( I got the old D-day set). The tank in the picture is different. But it came with an extra set of sherman decals. But....
Could anyone tell me how to have the airfix sherman crab tank to the american one. The decals are from Beaches gold or june. I'm not sure. Also tell me if they were even used on omaha beach.

Here is a picture of the Diorama from far. (Tree will not Be there, I keep it there because I need to put it some where in another Diorama).
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 394763000

As I had before, I have a "allies point of view" picture with the newspaper. Well I have one with the  Next product.
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 394763020

I also have a close up picture of the bunker. Notice the bushes where each hole was.
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 394763023

This is the side view of the LCM III. SHERMAN IS NOT FROM THE KIT. USING IT AS REFERENCE.
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 394763013

45 degree angle picture of the LCM II
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 394763005

Hope you guys like it. Please post comments and stuff like that. Embarassed I always look forward to read them and answer them.
Very Happy

alaskafish
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  alaskafish Sat Apr 23 2011, 10:25

I've finally finished the LCVP for the diorama. I made a few of the germans, and quite a lot of US Rangers. I really like how the rangers came out. Also I finally finished the hedgehogs. I added a very nice rust effect to the hedgehog. I also added a few other obstacles, like some barbwire and also a barrier. Now I'm thinking to add the water today Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation (January 30 2011)  Very Happy  My US Rangers are looking quite amazing. I really like the ranger who is laying on the ground next to a hedgehog sniping. You normally never see sniping or sniper positions.  Also I really like the 2 chaps being blown out of the ground. I'm thinking of dry brushing the cloud of smoke, to look like it also ripped out some sand out of the ground. Would you think that would be a good idea? My favorite Ranger is the ranger 2 medics working on a shot member. I added some  blood to the man, and used a blood technique to make it look more realistic.  I also have a few QUESTIONS:

Q1: During the storming on Omaha beach, would there be amphibious  vehicles driving onto or out of the beach? I keep on looking at SHORTY's picture of his D-Day Diorama on his portfolio.

Q2: Is it historically correct to have some other obstacles (minus the hedgehog sort of falling down the cliff? I took a quick picture of a obstacle almost falling off the cliff.

My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 394888986

And thats all my question. If people could please answer them, I'd be most pleased.

Now to the pictures.

This is the LCVP Landing Craft. I really like the US Flag at the back. The wire in the front is baggy because the cliff in front of it. I'm going to move it some day soon.
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 394888976

The 2 chaps blown out of the ground. I took him out of the diorama, for the picture.
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 394888981

The 2 medics working on a shot ranger. I took him off the diorama. In the picture you can also see, a radio operator team, and the sniper.
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 394888983

My favorite picture. Not favorite person. I like it because the background is fuzzed up, and towards the right, it look if there were waves and water. This also shows the rust effects.
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 394888978

Hope you like it. And please post comment, on your ideas, how you like it, or anything else.

If you are going to make one, just ask me! cherry

alaskafish
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  alaskafish Sat Apr 23 2011, 10:25

All right, I added the water "yay!" Razz
I added the landers in and some more rangers. (I also added some rangers into the water as if they were wading through the water. I also added some rust effects into the lander and added water on top of it and it looks quite cool. I also finished the German 88mm gun and tractor. The tractor has no use in the diorama right now. I am finishing up the US Rangers (I will add pictures of the ones I've made since last time).  Embarassed
Also, the 88mm will rest upon a terrorist (hill like, not 9/11 like). Under the structure I will added a wooden stair case that has been dug into the sand under it and have a small machine gun post. I am have a bit of trouble on what to make the wooden terrorist. I know balsa wood would be the best deal and nicest product, but I can't get any (with the fact I'm in Mozambique Africa. I'm not going to go to South Africa anytime soon, so I don't know what to USE! :nailbite: If someone could give me a REALISTIC and CHEAP way to make it without BUYING it on the INTERNET, I would be most pleased. Laughing
Here are the pictures you've all been waiting for:

This is a picture of the water with a LCM III next to it. Right side of beach
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 395122187

Now a picture of the water next to the LCVP on the left side of the beach.
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 395122188

Now the center of the beach/water area. Notice the rangers in the water. My favorite is the Revell ranger my friend gave me.
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 395122189

Another picture of the center beach/water area.
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 395122190

The water with rust effects in the LCVP
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 395122200

I was bored and I started to take a few "action shots"
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 395122198
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 395122197

Another one of the allies point of view.
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 395122199

The 88mm gun -tractor.
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 395122193

Simple idea of terrorist. I did not glue it on, it just resting there until I can think of a nicer looking idea.
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 395122192

Gun would set upon the wood like this
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 395122202

MINI Machine gun post.
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 395122203

Top view of the entire diorama.
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 395122195

Just to let you know... It is not finished. It just looks almost finished. I would appreciate comments, tips, and also answers to my questions!
Hope you all like it (SO FAR) 8-)

alaskafish
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  alaskafish Sat Apr 23 2011, 10:27

Finally. I got around added those pictures everyone especially strider wanted to see. Now I only have three. Hopefully that should have you guys happy enough. Now, all I need to do is weather, and add figures (German and American). Now to the pictures....

This is the 88mm on platform:
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 395657791

Now the 88mm with the bunker in background:
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 395657796

Now the allies point of view with 88mm:
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 395657794

Another reason I didn't work on it so much is that I've been working and working on other dioramas. :fear:

Please add comments. I just love to read them! Razz

alaskafish
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  alaskafish Sat Apr 23 2011, 10:27

Painting US Rangers from Omaha Beach

Yay! Many people ask how to paint my rangers. In fact not only on this topic, but in messages, friends, and on one other forum I never used.  :Whistling:
Now I have All the paints I need to tell you how to make them.

Normal Rangers
They should frankly look like this:
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 394888981

Paints:

Hu 121 = jacket
Hu 163/116 = helmet
Hu 029 = trousers
Hu 083 = gaiters, pack and webbing
Hu 062 = shoes
Hu 011 = Gun details
Hu 061 = Flesh
Hu 110 = Gun + Stained.

Medics
Same Idea put on the helmet and a wrist band are added and painted differently. They should some what look like this.
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 394888983

Hu 121 = jacket
Hu 163 = helmet, wrist band
Hu 029 = trousers
Hu 083 = gaiters, pack and webbing
Hu 062 = shoes
Hu 011 = Gun details
Hu 061 = Flesh
Hu 110 = Gun + Stained.
Hu 034 = Circles on helmet and wrist band
Hu 153 = Red Cross

alaskafish
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  alaskafish Sat Apr 23 2011, 10:28

Alright! I got the pictures! :blob: Nothing really knew, but the planning for my German Side. I also finished the Rangers (except for 2, I think). I made the mines and added them to the beach! Also I have 1 action shot I took. It is one out of many. I want to show them some other day.  Twisted Evil
Anyway, I will show you the pictures. Most of them are rangers and problems, but as I said: One Action Shot  :snack:
Also I have a random question I will ask at the end of the line of pictures.

First off, I'm thinking of adding this bunker up to this position:
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 396027120
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 396027124
The bunker shall be placed at the most farthest from diorama black line. And it will be placed at around that hight!
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 396027123

I'm also going to scratch build many things onto it because look at this poor detail! Also I have just bought nice looking germans I will use for the German side among with the Airfix ones.
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 396027130

I hate waking up every morning to see this. I am going to move the flak 88 to a concrete base, or maybe wood. 🤷
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 396027132

The 3rd or 4th Allies point of view. (Stridy: I invented the D-Day Point of View thing)
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 396027128

I like this guy. He was supposed to have a different scene but I think this looks really good!
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 396027133

I nice little picture showing the storming blurred out...
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 396027134

I like this scene in the diorama. I was able to stain the sand to look as if bloods was coming out.
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 396027127

And the action shot.
My D-Day Diorama (Large Project) 396027124

Anyway! Leave many comments and tell me what you think of the pictures, the idea, and any suggestions.  

alaskafish
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  joshdaarmyboy Sat Apr 23 2011, 11:01

Looking good alaskafish, is the extension going higher like in the picture or is it going to be flat Question
joshdaarmyboy
joshdaarmyboy
Admin

https://modelling-314.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  alaskafish Sun Apr 24 2011, 11:55

Flatish Highish. lol!

alaskafish
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  joshdaarmyboy Sun Apr 24 2011, 16:24

Okey dokey lol!
joshdaarmyboy
joshdaarmyboy
Admin

https://modelling-314.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  bernard5802 Wed Jun 29 2011, 05:18

Great job cheers

Bernard
bernard5802
bernard5802

Back to top Go down

Post  falcon01 Thu Jun 30 2011, 14:47

Nice model

Sam Very Happy
falcon01
falcon01

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down